We were recently in Alabama visiting the "in laws" and getting a few things accomplished before the big move. We have learned that people speak differently there than us(hubs begins to mumble as soon as we cross the Alabama state line) mostly with a drawl. During this trip we learned a few new set of "sayings".
I was chatting with my MIL today on the phone and she told me that my sister in law is "with fever" .....we would refer to this as a temperature. My MIL also suggested that I should "carry" some food to my sister in law because she was with fever. I am thinking she wanted me to take her some food.
My sweet southern nephew came for dinner.... trying to make conversation with a 6 year old.. I asked him if he took his lunch to school or if he bought lunch. He simply replied..... "no, I take a tray." I couldn't stop laughing. My nephew also draws out his vowels..... he will say baaaath or iiiice. (I caught myself doing it a time or two after being around him).
The weather turned cold one night and "my girl" commented on being cold while she slept. My FIL offered her a "sleeping blanket." When we asked him what that was; he said... "you know, you get in it and zip it up." He meant a sleeping bag. We laughed and laughed.
We also learned that people are "fixin'" to do something. I am fixin' to go to the store. I am fixin' to go outside. (Everyone is fixin' in those parts).
My FIL wants to tape me talking when we arrive and then play it back a year later. I am sure I will sound more like them the longer that I live there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
thats so cute! our Music Pastor is from Alabama and we always laugh at his words! I LOVE it, enjoy that southern twang because there are northerners who would love to have it! I'm not kidding either!
ReplyDeletefunny. especially the "I take a tray."
ReplyDeleteI said something to Jackson while we there and he didn't hear what I said, so he said," Ma'aaaaaaaaaaaam?" He does drag the vowels out!
I hope you are settling back in to Lawton/Fort Sill for the time being...