Yesterday, during Sunday school, we were talking about "stuff"...I have alot of stuff, I want more stuff, I don't want to leave my stuff. Ecclessiates 2:4-8, 5:10-16.
While we were having a discussion, Jamey, our leader for that lesson, shared with us that he and his wife decided to have a white elephant Christmas. I thought that sounded like a good way to get rid of things that were no longer wanted. He continued to share that they decided to take it one step further and to give something that they didn't necessarily want to give. Okay, now that makes it a little harder. He told us that they were able to give gifts to 14 people that they wouldn't have had gifts for.
While sitting there, I started thinking about our upcoming move. We will be renting a house while we build our new home. In doing this, we are looking for something that won't cost alot of money and therefore, it will be smaller than our houses in the past. We have agreed to this as a family and we all know that's it's for a season. Because our home will be smaller, we will be putting many of our items into storage. I have started thinking about the things that we "need" at the rental home. Needless to say, there is a list going on in my head.
As I am sitting in Sunday school all of a sudden my thoughts turn to my dishes. I felt God was telling me it's time to let one set go. You see, I love dishes. I have three beautiful sets of dishes. On from Germany, one from Poland and one from Italy. Each were hand picked by me for me. I really think God wants me to give up my set from Germany. The red dishes.
I was sharing this nudge that I felt God giving me with my friend yesterday afternoon and she asked me if I listen to Joyce Meyers. She told me about Joyce Meyers praying each morning as to whom she could bless that day and how. Then, she turned to see a red dress that she had bought. God had given her a name and the item. She argued with God... not that dress. It still has it's tags on it... it's brand new. She went about her day. She prayed another morning and God gave her the same name and the same red dress. She finally submitted and gave the dress to the lady that God had laid on her heart. She was able to bless someone and she is blessed when she sees the dress being worn. My friend suggested that I pray about who could receive a blessing from these dishes.
I will ask each of you reading this to pray for God to show me if He wants me to give the dishes and who He would like to have them. I don't want my mind to run wild with ideas... I want this to be His plan not mine. I also would like to ask that you pray that God will give my girl an understanding if this is His plan. She loves those dishes. I think it will be harder for her to see them go than me.
"The best things in life aren't things." Art Buchwald
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
what a great opportunity to show giving from deep within your heart. I know how hard it is to part with "stuff" especially when you have emotions tied to it, but, think about it. . . its just "stuff". several years ago when my son was just going into 6th grade (hes a senior now) a buddy of his was killed in a car accident. Let me tell you that rocked my world. I couldn't get the thought out of my head, what if that was my son. I started asking God to show me areas, in my life, that keep me from fulfilling His purpose; stuff, things was a huge part of it and the collecting and admiring. I started a home purge. I wasn't easy at first, but now I rarely purchase anything that we don't absolutely need, and I've rid my house of just clutter. Its been freeing; in my heart and mind, and what we have we use and has deep meaning for all of us. I'm sorry for the book! I will be praying that God shows you specifically who He wants you to give those dishes too and that He prepares the heart of your daughter to understand and accept it as well. Thanks for opening my eyes today about how I could possibly bless someone out of my own home........
ReplyDeletewow. that is awesome. I love when God throws us a challenge that's just too big to ignore. even if its a hard one. Girl, I will certainly be praying that He make it obvious to you about whom you will bless. I trust that Logan's heart will understand the giving as well. that girl has a HUGE heart!!!
ReplyDeletecan't wait to hear how He leads you. thanks for sharing!